On Tuesday, March 13th, at the Manna Food Center in Gaithersburg, MD, the Potomac team sorted 6 pallets of non-perishable food for the Smart Sacks program. The Smart Sacks program provides 2,812 Montgomery County schoolchildren with food every Friday to help alleviate weekend hunger.
Giving back to our community helps us grow together as a team while helping those in need within our community. Some food for thought:
- $86,580 = Median income needed for a family of 3 to be "self-sufficient" in Montgomery County
- 70,510 = # of food-insecure neighbors in our community
- 1 in 3 = children qualifying for free or reduced meals at schools across Montgomery County
About Manna Food Center
- Shares fresh produce and shelf-stable food with more than 28,516 neighbors annually
- Offers 126 hours of nutrition education, teaching habits for disease prevention, active living, and navigating nutrition labels
- Distributed 107,412 Smart Sacks to students in the 2016-2017 school year
Learn more about Manna Food Center here.
Learn more about community service as a wellness activity here.