Last year, we reported on the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) proposed regulations on 2017 benefit and payment parameters. Official numbers were released in the March 8, 2016 Federal Register, official numbers were released.
Marketplace Notices to Employers
- Currently, all marketplaces are required to contact an employer when an employee has been determined to be eligible for subsidies if they purchase coverage through a marketplace.
- The notice is to let the employer know that it may be subject to the employer shared responsibility penalty and the employer can appeal the determination.
- Beginning in 2017, the federally facilitated marketplaces will only be required to notify the employer when a potential subsidy-eligible employee actually enrolls in a marketplace plan. State-based marketplaces have the option to follow a similar process.
Marketplace Annual Open Enrollment Period
- This year, the annual open enrollment period for individual policies for both inside and outside the federally facilitated marketplaces ended on January 31, 2016.
- The open enrollment periods for the 2017 and 2018 benefits years will remain the same starting November 1 and ending January 31.
- Starting with the 2019 benefit year, the annual open enrollment period will be November 1 to December 15, 2018.
Source: Group Benefit Services