On April 20, 2015, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commissions (EEOC) will publish a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) in the Federal Register describing how the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) applies to employee wellness programs that are part of group health plans. The NPRM will include statements regarding the following areas of corporate wellness programs:
- Wellness programs must be reasonably designed to promote health or prevent disease.
- Wellness programs must be voluntary.
- Employers may offer limited incentives for employee participation in wellness programs or achievement of certain health outcomes.
- Medical information obtained as part of a wellness program must be kept confidential.
- Employers must provide reasonable accommodations enabling employees with disabilities to participate and earn whatever incentives the employer offers.
More explanation is available at Employee Benefit News.